Is old wood really "weaker" ???

Prof. Euphonious Thump lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 11:44:45 MST 2008

O.K. Here's the part I'm not convinced of :
( From an old post of Del's, I believe, that Ric
kindly resurrected. )

>     Across-grain, though, we have a problem. There
> has been a lot fiber
>     compression due to compression set and the old
> wood is now much
>     weaker across-grain than it was when it started
> out.

   Has this been proven ? From what I've observed
( ever tried to drive a  nail into an old board ? )
and Dale's comments about sparks at the sawmill, when
cutting old boards, old wood GAINS some strength.
So why would it be weaker ??? Indeed: If wood is
compressed, it's also more dense, and denser
( usually ) means stronger. Yes, I understand some
fibers may be crushed, but wouldn't that be offset
( somewhat, or entirely ) by the rigidity wood gains
with age ??? ( Again, by oxidation of the resins
within the cells: which eventually turns to amber,
which is classified as a  "mineral" and "gemstone". )

It is also
>     considerably less resilient so we can't just dry
> it out and
>     compression-crown the whole thing all over
> again.

This I understand, 100%. If you tried to CC old wood,
it'd probably crack, pronto !

Thump