Is old wood really "weaker" ???

Prof. Euphonious Thump lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 13:07:06 MST 2008

--- Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no> wrote:

> Really the wrong question Thumpy... or rather not a
> complete enough
> one.  Lots happens to wood as it gets older.  It
> gets stiffer
> perpendicular to the grain .............and its
compression
> strength is lessened.

O.K. That's the one I'm not "sold" on. Why would
stiffer wood have less resistance to compression ?

> So is its ability to react to humidity as newer wood
> does... in a sense
> it becomes less reactive to taking on and giving off
> humidity.

Great ! "stays in tune better" will be a big
"markering point" for me !!!!

 He ( Del ) mentioned that doing so ( using old panels
) was amoung
> other things not such a
> bad idea with regard to depleting stocks of good
> soundboard wood.

Yes. A lot of great big trees have been cut down, just
so "Mrs. Biffenwhistle"  can play "chopsticks" twice a
 year !!!

Cheers,
     Thump