Plugging and redrilling an action rail

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 13:35:10 MST 2008

At 21:21 -0800 29/1/08, Fenton Murray wrote:

>Hi JD,
>I just caught on this is an upright which makes it more difficult,
>my previous posts were assuming you were working on a grand. Sorry,
>sounds like your on the right track. Do post some photos, if
>possible, of your exercise.

I've cracked it today.  Yesterday I spent boring out the butts and
fitting the new hammers and today I have made the necessary repairs
to the rail.  I'll do the drilling later in the week when I have
received some new mini-chucks from America (very cheap on eBay and
they look ideal).

Here's the write-up of the job so far with pictures:

<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/rail_reboring/>

JD