Regulating Without Specs

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 4 21:10:53 MST 2008

Hi Jon
  Nice work.
  I have been doing something similar and a bit  simpler) but along the same
lines. (I'm simple).
 I've been making and selling  tool called the Action  Ratio gauge. Picture
shown below.

  A 6  mm foot is mounted to the bottom of the  weighted wooden block. The
chart on the back is used to instantly crunch the  numbers you get when using
it.

  How it works
  Simply set the Action ratio gauge on the keys, which  should be close to
level. Then using a metric depth gauge I measure  the hammer rise above the
neighboring hammer.  Take the distance &  divide by 6 & voila.... a very close
action  ratio.
   IE if the hammer rises 34 mm higher than it's  neighbor, divide that by 6
(the thickness of the foot)this equals a 5.67 ratio  on the chart. Not bad.  I
can work with  this.
  High numbers, say 6 & above, will always  require a long 48 mm hammer
travel & a shallow dip.
 I.E. Baldwin's.In this case  I know I've got work to  do
 Something in the 5.5 ratio range will usually be  a 46 mm hammer travel &
.390 dip.  (Steinways/others)
  Measuring the sharps is done in the same way & the  ratio will always be
slightly different due to the key balance point &  shorter leverage.
  The beauty of this gauge is that a tech can easily  & quickly assess action
problems in front of clients eyes in  minutes & can inform them why the
action is heavy/ light etc &  the appropriate remedy.
   I use the ratio information to determine  which action parts I will choose
when rebuilding.
  The Action ratio can be can be modified to improve  function in essentially
3 ways.  Change the knuckle placement, move  the capstan or ( These are the
most common fixes) the key balance point can  be relocated if replacing the
keyset.
  Any numbers close to a 7 to will require new keys  to truly make the action
work. AMHIK.
  High numbers equal short dip Long hammer travel.   Low numbers the
opposite.  High numbers (5.8 to 7 or more) require light  hammers & lots of key lead
to balance the action.
   Ok now the real beauty is this. Low numbers (5  to 5.6sih) can tolerate
more hammer weight & some lead can be  unloaded from the key thereby reducing
inertia. All pianist love  this
  On another note the first thing I usually do  is look at the leading.  If
there are lots of lead.  I already know  the regulation & leading will be in a
place I wont' like
  I'm not a number cruncher so I needed this to be easier  for me.
  Regards
   Dale Erwin
  John writes
 Hello List,
I'm writing an article about regulating pianos  when you don't have
specifications.  I'll paste in the simple nuts and  bolts of it below.  I'd appreciate
your feedback.  I know there are  some setup caveats and pitfalls, and some
other considerations, but rather than  lay all of them out, I thought I'd wait
and hear from you guys about what you  see as strong points, weak points, yeah
buts, and any other  considerations.

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker  rd
Modesto, Ca. 95357