Andre's Front Punchings vs Schimmels

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Feb 5 02:06:58 MST 2008

Hi Paul

I wouldnt count on it being much more easy to understand. One asks the
question how does a front punching effect the voicing and one
immediately thinks about the hammer hitting the strings and starts
scratching ones head.  One idea thats been tossed around here that makes
a bit of sense to me is that on all but fairly soft blows the key
bottoms out before the hammer hits the string... before the jack
actually clears the knuckle.  If this be the case, then the way the key
bottoms out will be crucial to how the energy in the key is released at
the capstan. The key is under stress (bending) when played. A soft
cushion will absorb some of this energy and less energy is used hammer
side in that last millisecond.  I suppose a catapult is a usable
analogy. A set of cushions that all behave non-uniformly will inject a
degree of uneveness to the play and the voicing by the same token.

Then there are the isolated contributions to the overall sound response
a harder cushion will give as well.  Hitting the bottom creates a sound
that is also thrown through the system and forms part of the overall
sound picture similar I suppose to how different shanks frequencies can
influence the over all sound quite a bit more then we usually are aware
of.

On top of all this are the psychological effects of touch / response.
These things feel different... and so a given touch from the pianist
will deliver a different feedback loop.... which affects the pianist
perception of sound.

Cheers
RicB

    Jon, can you explain why this happens? This non-"voicing" voicing is
    quite
    intriguing... and hopefully easier for me to understand than the
    recently
    posted tomes regarding soundboards.

    Thanks,
    Paul Bruesch