Speaking of Steinway grand sizes

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Feb 5 10:46:44 MST 2008

Hi Folks

Ran into a Steinway Miniature today... serial number 140604... which
puts it from 1910.  Thing measures 159 mm from backside of tail to front
side of the lockbar (stretcher I think many of you call it). This doesnt
quite match the M specs of today.  It doesnt have any designation next
to the serial number which is stamped into the usual place in the V in
the plate webbing between the bass and tenor areas.

Is this an M of a different size as it were ?  I need to order a set of
bass strings for the thing... someone put on a set of hex core strings
in 1987 as the story goes... using the same core dimensions all the way
down to note 14.  Struck me as a bit strange... tho I haven't plugged
the numbers into my spreadsheet yet.

Anyone have core and cover specs for the scale on this thing handy ??

Cheers
RicB