Speaking of Steinway grand sizes

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Feb 5 11:45:13 MST 2008

Thanks David...

I'll re-measure the length on friday when I go back to check out a few
other things.  But this things serial number puts it a 1910, which I
guess means its a pre - M model.  On the cross bar connecting the two
lowest plate struts it has stamped in and painted in black "Miniature"
but otherwise there is not much help. Rounded off  ends (just outside
the cheek blocks)  instead of the squared ones would usually indicate a
Hamburg instrument... but I'm not so sure in this case. I can take a few
pics I suppose.This is the only time I've run into one of these so any
info anyone has would be appreciated

Cheers
RicB

    Ric:

    The first model M was 5'6" introduced in 1912.  In 1914 they introduced
    a 5'6-3/4" M and in 1918 the current 5'7" M.  Steinway measures from the
    end of the tail to the front of keybed.  (From the new Steinway
    World-Wide Technical Reference Guide)

    dp

    David M. Porritt, RPT
    dporritt at smu.edu