Remembering Steinway grand sizes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Feb 5 12:34:38 MST 2008

> I have yet to have the pleasure. What wonderful characteristics conspire
> to make the otherwise lovely (I'm sure) piano untunable?
>
> Terry Farrell

They look fine, and sound/feel familiar enough. The tuning
pins are just way past obscenely tight. I'm a big enough guy
to drag the piano around the room by the tuning hammer if it
seemed like a good idea at the time, but finding that
necessary just to turn the pins is abusive, and it's a total
crap shoot as to where the string will end up after you've
removed the hammer. Then there's the snapping and popping...
They turn a 45 minute tuning into an hour+ tuning that sounds
like a 25 minute tuning. The factory tuners must look like
fiddler crabs.

Ron N