Regulating with metrics

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Feb 5 14:38:11 MST 2008

The problem with the Imperial system... aside from it being rather
archaic, is that below the unit of 1 inch... it operates exactly like
the metric system... i.e. 10 base. Above however it gets rather
bizarre.. it takes 12 of these inch thingys to make the next unit up...
which be a foot and three again of these to take yet another step... a
yard.

Now if it took 10 inches to make a foot... and 100 to make a yard... you
might be on to something.... but as it is the Imperial system is a mix
mash of at least 3 different base number systems... and that doesnt even
get into acres and the lot... which I dont even want to think about :):)

Cheers
RicB

    "Yeah, but if you want REALLY tight precision, go for thousandths of a
    millimeter!"

    Reminds me of the joiner who went with his engineer friend to the
    engineers'
    convention.  When it was finished and his friend asked what he
    thought, he
    said "Huh, all that talk of tolerances, of give and take so many
    thousandths!  You're LUCKY!  We've got to get it RIGHT!"

    Does no-one know, then, what in imperial meaurements there are 4840 of?

    Best regards,

    David.