how to politely ask for a raise

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Feb 5 19:40:51 MST 2008

Brian writes:

<< How would you handle this?   Or...would you just leave the situation as it
is? >>

            If you leave it as it is, you are going backwards,
professionally.  I don't think I have ever 'asked' for a raise. I  had to price my time for
whatever market I could cobble together would bear. I knew I wasn't charging
enough when I began to turn customers away because I didn't have the time.  A
higher price took care of that problem, and more than paid for itself with the
added income offsetting the few lost customers.  Then, soon enough, I started
to run out of time, again.  Raise'em,  I say.
    You want clients that understand your need to raise your prices, yearly.
If not, you will pay for the difference, year after year, for as long as they
are your customer.  We can't leave it to the clientele to shape us, we want
to shape it, so, as our business progresses, our prices should gradually rise
upwards.  Away from apprentice wages, where we all began, away from beginner
prices, and by the time we finally have to end our career, we should be getting
top dollar for our area.  At least, that is the ideal progression I have in
mind.
       As we do, our customers will reflect a higher degree of cost and
value.  And we won't be saddled with an appointment book full of bottom dollar
clients!  This is a good thing.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on