Andre's Front Punchings vs Schimmels

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 6 08:19:15 MST 2008

Hi Jurgen.

On that note of the punchings being too hard in some pianos... I find
that the addition of a 1 mm thick extra felt punching under the
crescendo punching is enough to quite any noise considerably without
compromising the effect of Andres punchings much at all.  No doubt there
is some effect... but I still like this combination better then soft
green cloth punchings.  I make my 1 mm punchings myself when I need them
out of bushing cloth.  1.1 mm is what they say the stuff is actually.

Cheers
RicB

    Quite a number of high end shops, rebuilders and institutions use
    Crescendo Front Rail Punchings, many of them exclusively.  Typically,
    techs will order one set, then after a while, two more.  Then,
    silence...  Then the next order is half a dozen sets or a big bag of
    1000 punchings.  The demand is such that they are sometimes back
    ordered, like right now for example.  Don't fret though, more are on
    their way.  It just takes a while because the factory makes up the felt
    sheets on demand and then punches them out.  They do not stockpile
    them.

    To date, there were two instances, including Kent's, where someone
    found the punchings too firm.  All the other feedback from techs and
    players alike has been along these lines:
    http://www.pianofortesupply.com/cresc.testimonia.html

    I will soon be adding a second thickness of  Crescendo Balance Rail
    Punchings, and I have plans to introduce special new regulating
    punchings to complement the whole system, later this year.