Speaking of Steinway grand sizes

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Feb 6 16:07:32 MST 2008

At 22:39 +0100 6/2/08, Richard Brekne wrote:

>That is a very kind gesture and I thank you kindly for it. I'll send
>it along to Hellerman with my other data.  You did catch that this
>turns out to be an L scale yes ?

I think I've only ever done about 2 Ls and so far as I remember it
had the same lengths as the O.  I haven't got a scale for it here on
the computer but there's probably a printout at the factory.  I'll
try to remember to look it out tomorrow.  I think the miniature
(without 'O' embossed in the frame) probably ran from 1900 to 1905-7,
just to give people time to forget the 0 (nought) but I can't be
sure.  The 'O' was and is a very successful piano in spite of its
weaknesses.  Though I've made strings for the 'L', I've never
personally dealt with one, but it seems to be very similar.

Steinway say for the 'L' Strings
BASS: Swedish steel core wire wound with pure copper. Longest,
agraffe/bridge: 54 1/4" (138 cm)

My lengths for the 'O' (give or take a few mm.) are as follows:

1	137.7
2	136.2
3	134.8
4	133.3
5	131.8
6	130.5
7	129.1
8	127.8
9	126.4
10	124.7
11	123.0
12	121.2
13	119.5
14	117.4
15	115.4
16	113.3
17	111.2
18	109.2
19	107.2
20	105.2
21	103.2
22	100.9
23	98.6
24	96.2
25	93.9
26	91.7

For comparison, here is roughly the original scale.  I can't be sure,
but I imagine I measured every string from an original scale and this
is what it would take to reproduce it.  If I did that I can guarantee
you several breakages before you got to tune it.