how to politely ask for a raise

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 19:37:17 MST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 7:25 PM, Willem Blees <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> Brian et. al.
>
> Some of the responses have been to let the church know about your
> increase. Personally, I think that is not necessary. In fact, I think it
> might be the wrong thing to do. Whether it is a church, or private
> customers, as Conrad just mentioned, if customers are going to get another
> tuner just because you raised you fee, then you don't need them. There is
> nothing wrong with raising your fee at least once a year, or perhaps once
> every other year. It would be better if your went up a couple of dollars
> once a year, than $5 or $10 every three years. As someone else mentioned,
> your customers are not going notice, or if they do, won't mind, if you
> raised your fee. Most expect it. And you don't need to announce it until you
> hand them a bill after you tuned the piano. How many of you get a notice
> from your lawyer, accountant, or plumber, car mechanic, telling you their
> rates are going up?
>
> In fact, announcing a price increase ahead of time might actually cost you
> business. That is how I got a new customer once a long time ago. One of our
> chapter members sent out a letter announcing a price increase. One of
> his customers called me, instead. I might have been a few dollars less, but
> if the other tuner had just tuned the piano, and then handed her the bill,
> he might have lost her the next time, but he would have gotten at least one
> more tuning out of the customer, at the higher fee.
>
> Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
> Piano Tuner/Technician
> Honolulu, HI
> Author of
> The Business of Piano Tuning
> available from Potter Press
> www.pianotuning.com

I believe both Conrad and Willem have a point that just presenting them with
the bill with the new charge would probably be the way to go.
I only make a habit of announcing price increases to my schools I tune for
because they issue Purchase Orders for the exact amount of the tuning and if
the amount is different the bean counters get upset and we aren't supposed
to upset the bean counters! <grin>

Mike

--
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com