37 steps---delayed response

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 6 23:20:06 MST 2008

Hi Israel,
                  On the subject of springs. One
of the most common causes of unstable regulation,
is the friction in the spring grub slot.   I
can't count the number of times that cleaning the
spring tips and lubricating the slots, has
changed the regulation dramatically.   Some times
for the better, and some times it will make the
springs kick like a mule.  The more I think about
it, the more I realize that I either service the
springs, or ball park adjust them first, or very
early in the regulation process.
This action will also change let off, and most
other regulation parameters.  In extreme cases, (
1920's Steinway's with Tallow in the grub
slot)  you will find that you will need to change
the dip (after touch) after you clean the slot and tips.

Regards Roger

At 10:23 PM 06/02/2008, you wrote:

>>The spring tension will change to some degree
>>(sometimes a lot) when the other regulation
>>points are done, therefore it is impossible to
>>adjust the strength precisely on the FIRST pass.
>
>Then, I might also add, that it's impossible to
>do springs - precisely or otherwise - before
>getting the backchecks fairly close, because
>backcheck regulation affects spring compression
>- and therefore the speed at which the hammer
>"jumps" when you test the springs. If backchecks
>aren't at least close to where they ought to be
>- you will be getting a false reading on how
>strong the springs really are. The gist of all
>this is that you pretty much have to get all
>your regulation points or functions "in the
>ballpark" before attempting to regulate anything
>precisely. It's sort of like doing a pitch raise before fine-tuning.
>
>What you write below, Larry, is probably one of
>the best statements of how regulation actually works that I have seen.
>
>Israel Stein
>
>>Most of the regulation points except let-off
>>will change, even if it is a small amount,
>>after other points are tackled. Thus the
>>“rounds of regulation”. But it is true that the
>>spring tension should be either after blow
>>distance or not far behind. Let off can come
>>before spring tension. The 37 steps are just
>>that
 steps
 but not the process as a whole.
>>You will be going up a few steps and  then back
>>down a few more and so on
 you’ll be running up