37 steps---delayed response

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 08:32:54 MST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 3:54 PM, David Andersen <david at davidandersenpianos.com>
wrote:

> So---people responded to my spring strength warning with the old "when you
> do *rounds of regulation* it all gets done" brush-off. When was the last
> time a real-world, paid situation allowed you to do "rounds of regulation?"
> Please.
>
> My point was, and is, this:
> If you're looking for biggest radical positive change in the shortest
> possible time, DO THE SPRING STRENGTH FIRST, AND PRECISELY, or the other
> regulation points will not be stable, or end up where you want them. Period.
> And the impact of your work will be diminished. That's the cold-light-of-day
> truth; the person who puts in the foundational SMART work and uses his or
> her years of homework and experience to quickly and intuitively diagnose and
> execute the best signal path will win. Every time.
>
> Humph. Rounds of regulation, my a**. <g>
> David Andersen
>

>  On Jan 29, 2008, at 2:45 PM, David Andersen wrote:
>

>  On Jan 29, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Leslie Bartlett wrote:
>
>  It's not really so different than Potter or Reblitz.
>

> I don't know about Potter or Reblitz, but if you regulate according to the
> Yamaha 37 steps you'll have some problems. Spring strength affects almost
> every other regulation point; if you don't do it very precisely first, and
> then refine it later on, thing will change, and not for the better; wrong
> spring strength (too little or too much) will blur and confuse the feeling
> of the other precise regulation protocols.
>
> Blow distance, some aftertouch, then spring strength. Foist and fawmost,
> kiddies. Balance is the key.
>
> xoDA

I guess that's why I prefer Kawai's circle of refinement to Yamaha's 37
steps, in the circle of refinement you are seeking to regulate/adjust/refine
as needed to bring the action to the point of functioning properly rather
than  following a list of steps some of which may seem/be superfluous. In
the circle of refinement it is not unheard of to repeat/redo and adjustment
after performing some of the other adjustments, it's considered another step
on the road to refinement.

Mike

--
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com