Speaking of Steinway grand sizes

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 09:53:28 MST 2008

At 09:27 +0100 7/2/08, Richard Brekne wrote:

>For what its worth.... these are the numbers that come out of the
>Steinway Service manual.  I believe I have copied them correctly.
>
>I'll see the piano tommorrow.. but I already know the diameters on
>this non original set of bass strings are completely different then
>this.  Plus the fact that whomever made them used hex core wire.

Yuk!

I attach a print-out of the results such a scale as this would give.
As you see the lengths are, for practical purposes, the same as the
'O' and the scale is as crazy if not more so.  Whoever published
those dimensions had no idea how strings are made, since the total
diameters given are the sum of the core and twice the diameter of the
copper.  This is nonsense, since the copper reduces considerably in
diameter as it is wound onto the steel; for example they say that the
top single, with 160 copper on a 20 steel will end up as 4.325mm,
whereas it will in fact end up being more like 4.08mm.  This is a
huge difference.  I can see no sense in their scale at all and truly
it is rare to find such a _very_ badly designed scale.

I attach also a print-out of a scale that I would use for this piano.

I have no objection to making the strings either :-)

JD

--
   Delacour Pianos  *  Silo  *  Deverel Farm  *  Milborne St. Andrew
                      Dorset DT11 0HX  *  England