Loose Ribs

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Feb 8 16:08:46 MST 2008

Hose 'er down with CA. ;-)

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Clark Sprague
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:38 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Loose Ribs

Hi, all.  I was trying to tune a Shoninger spinet tonight (what a horrible
thing), and when I got to C#5, and to a lesser extent, D5, I heard the
weirdest sounds.  I knew that the thing had loose ribs, and they were
buzzing most of the way up the piano, but at that point, they began to buzz
"harmonically".  I have never heard this before.
    I have attached a recording made on my Dell pocket PC, on which I run
Tunelab.  It is a .wav file, and can be opened with Windows Media Player.  I

turned the volume up, and it comes through clearly.  And it is different the

second time I hit C#, from the first time.
    Anyone heard this kind of vibe coming from loose ribs before?
Clark A. Sprague, RPT