Soundboard repair question

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Sun Feb 10 06:38:23 MST 2008

That's what I had told the guy who asked the question, but I thought I'd
ask, anyway, in case I was missing something.  I hadn't thought of epoxy as
being able to expand and contract, although I know it's used in all sorts of
wood repair/stabilization jobs... so it has to be able to do that.  Doh.

Does epoxy repair change the soundboard response, then, or does it simply
stabilize the board and ribs?  Forgive me if I'm asking questions that I
should already know the answer to, but I don't know.  (I have lots of
hypotheses built around what I've read and observed, but there are some big
cracks in those, I'm sure. <g>)

My thought is that any material other than wood (and a similar wood, at
that) is going to affect soundboard response negatively, but I don't know if
it's as negative as a crack (which looks to me like a barrier to vibration
transmission from one part of the board to the others).  Is any of that in
the ballpark, even?

Thanks.

Annie G.