37 steps--

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Sat Feb 9 15:15:20 MST 2008

Hi Israel,
                   The reason for mentioning the spring and slot, is that
it is one of those items, Out of sight, out of mind.  A loose centre pin is
always obvious.  I know from my own experience, that doing various circles
of regulation can be very frustrating, when you are not getting the desired
result.  (Good stable hammer line to name one.)  The tip of the spring and
slot, is the most common cause.

To my way of thinking, checking/polishing/lubricating, the spring is just
one of the steps to performance regulation.  Every bit as important as
opening or closing the coil.

The lubricant I use is MPL-1 use just enough to coat the spring, IN sever
cases then the wippens have to be removed and the slots polished out with a
sharpened hammer shank..
I then burnish the slot with  a hammer shank and MPL-1 grease. There will
be no excess grease in the slot, just a film.  I don't like Graphite in any
form, due to it's Hygroscopic nature.

Regards Roger

Yes, cleaning those spring slots is another issue. On some older Steinways
I found that cleaning that slot and getting the gunk off the spring is all
it took to get the spring tension close to where it needed to be.
Regulating with all that goop in there just makes no sense at all.