Valuing ourselves

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 10:55:40 MST 2008

David writes:
<< I've been an acolyte of Ed Foote in the business realm for about 10
years because he KNOWS what he's worth, and raises his rates EVERY
SINGLE TIME he needs to, usually every 18 months. >>

    Ah, David, that makes me sound better than I am!

For the record, I don't "know" what I am worth.  If I did, it would be easy,
but I am continually taking a risk as I raise my prices.  I am taking a chance
that I am worth the higher price, and though experience gives me some guide,
I never know who I am going to lose.  However, risk and gain are proportional,
so my choice is between safety and profit.  Life is short, I'm gonna die, so
safety is losing its appeal.
     I did intentionally price myself out of the recording studio business,
simply because I didn't want to be chained to an account that might need me to
be in town for a full week at a time, (and the fact that the ego/artist
personalities in that business, when combined with a little cocaine, become
downright unpleasant).
Long ago, my father told me that the man that cannot ask for a raise doesn't
deserve one.  I believe it.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>The year's hottest artists on the red carpet
at the Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.<BR>
(http://music.aol.com/grammys?NCID=aolcmp00300000002565)</HTML>