Is storing pianos in the cold bad?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Feb 14 04:30:20 MST 2008

Mark McConnell wrote:
> My friend has a few unrestored pianos in his garage - a 1925 M and some
> circa 1900-20's Chickerings and Baldwins. He lives in Michigan, so we
> are talking below zero weather on occasion. I wondered if this isn't bad
> for the old glue, but I've never read anything. I suggested at least
> bringing the actions indoors. Does anyone have any experience with this?
> Thank you.

The cold is no problem as long as warming is slow.  The problem is
humidity - excess and unregulated.  Bringing a subzero piano into a 70°F
room and seeing it frost over is not an experience I want to see again.

Mildew and mold from damp storage are also ungood.

Garage with snow melt from wheel wells would probably be in the
excess/unregulated category.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, in snowy NE Iowa.