Walter Strings

sdpianotech at itctel.com sdpianotech at itctel.com
Thu Feb 14 07:35:21 MST 2008

Thanks for your responses.  The piano is not "old", but is one of
Walter's early production.  Before he changed the string scale:  Note
16 is a single string, the treble tail lengths are considerably longer
than his "improved" scale.

The piano is not now regularly used, and was played rather moderately
by students more interested in basketball.   Pitch was close (for
South Dakota):  I raised about 6 cents.  Hammers are in good shape,
thought I'm wondering if strike point is too close to termination in
high treble.

I've run into problems in other makes where all strings of a certain
size snap.  Bad wire?  Is that some form of crystallization?  Is it
possible to determine such problems before a string breaks?

Stu