60 yr. old Baldwin R appraisal value

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 15:54:46 MST 2008

Hello All,I've just evaluated & tuned a Baldwin R (5' 8") for a client who
is in the process of liquidating her late mom's estate. Overall it is in
fair to poor condition. 60 years of Northeast (Boston suburbs) climate and
very dry central heating has taken its toll. Attractive mahogany finish,
case not particularly abused over the years. Three long, obvious soundboard
cracks (although no rib separation yet). Tuning pin torque as low as 15"-lbs
on a few notes, most pins comfortably around 40"-lbs (these are detuning
readings; raising tension torque is approximately 60-70 "-lbs). Downbearing
is present. Moderate wear to hammers (given the age), poor regulation. I
tuned it at its average pitch, 45 cents flat. Bass strings' tone flaccid,
overall tone typically choked due to hammer condition & regulation.
So, I'm looking for your thoughts on what numbers I should give as my final
verdict.
For example, if you're rebuilding & selling instruments like this, what
would you consider a reasonable range to acquire a piano like this? How
marketable is a rebuilt small Baldwin grand these days?
What is a reasonable number to give them if they're going to sell it
themselves "as is" via craigslist?
Comments from folks in the Northeast will be especially appreciated.
Thanks for offering your off the cuff second opinions regarding this
scenario.
Patrick Draine
Billerica MA