soundboard on my 1890's Knabe upright

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Feb 15 06:22:14 MST 2008

Daniel,

It sounds as though the "rebuild" did not include a new soundboard?
Anyway, if you like the sound and it's not buzzing, just let it be.  No,
you can't shim from underneath, you would need to de-string remove the
plate and shim the cracks. A lot of work, especially for an upright.  Then
again, if it starts to buzz, then off to work you go if you think it's
worth it!

My 2 cents

Paul

"daniel carlton" <hacicspe at gmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/15/2008 01:08 AM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

cc

Subject
soundboard on my 1890's Knabe upright

hey techs

i've got a rebuilt (rebuilt 2 or 3 years ago) 1890's Knabe upright. nice
warm, woody sound, and it's already been used in a few recordings. i'd
like to have it sound nice for many more years. i do have one concern.
i've noticed a crack or two in the soundboard, and it bums me out to have
a rebuilt, beautifully sounding piano with a crack in the soundboard.
now i did a few shims at nbss on grands we were rebuilding, but never any
uprights... and in the following post
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2006-January/184497.html, David
Ilvedson says you can't shim from behind.
so my question is can anything be done to fix the cracks?

as always, any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

daniel carlton