Embarrassing puzzler

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 15 21:36:11 MST 2008

While looking for a long post on bob-bob-bobbling hammers that I put up years ago, I came across a puzzler that I posted. I still tune this piano though it has changed owners. The puzzler was:

"Ancient Chickering 1/4-grand. Original hammers, I believe. Some tails split from drying out. Backcheck buckskin worn, flat, and indented. Many hammers bobbling double striking. Fixed all of them within 5 minutes using a "tool" on my little bitty Swiss Army penknife! What and how?"

Now I am a little embarrassed and totally mystified -- I have now idea what I did! Anyone remember, or have an answer? (I don't think it had anything to do with roughing up backcheck suede or hammer tails or any thing like that because I'd have used sandpaper or little file that I carry--the nail file on the knife is too smooth, too small, and would not work very well for this.)

 Alan Barnard
Salem, MO