Bechstein hammer bore

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 05:58:50 MST 2008

The one and only Bechstein that I've had the opportunity to install new hammers
had an interesting situation. The normal string height minus hammer
center height
formula could not be employed because that would have had the shanks resting
on the rest felts and the hammers not clearing the bottom of the pin block.

I ended up figuring the bore by having the shanks off the rail and the hammers
nudging themselves under the block. This meant that the hammer needed to be
pitched towards the rear, and not to the same degree in each section.
As I recall
the top treble had a 3 degree difference from one end to the other.
Which by the
way had to be pretty precise due to the tight tolerance for the hammer to clear
the belly and back edge of the pin block.
--

Regards,

Jon Page