Bechstein hammer bore

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Feb 16 07:05:35 MST 2008

Hi John.

In similar situations in the past, I have always simply changed rest
cushions to accommodate the needed space. Any down sides to this you can
think of ?  I mean if you end up with a blow somewhere between  44 and
48 mm... then it strikes me that the rest cushion should be ok... and if
its not then it needs to be changed.

I'd be interested to hear your general thoughts on rake questions that
have been raised.  You've no doubt posted many times before on the
matter... but a quick re-run of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
RicB

    The one and only Bechstein that I've had the opportunity to install
    new hammers had an interesting situation. The normal string height
    minus hammer  center height formula could not be employed because
    that would have had the shanks resting on the rest felts and the
    hammers not clearing the bottom of the pin block.

    I ended up figuring the bore by having the shanks off the rail and
    the hammers nudging themselves under the block. This meant that the
    hammer needed to be pitched towards the rear, and not to the same
    degree in each section.  As I recall the top treble had a 3 degree
    difference from one end to the other.
    Which by the way had to be pretty precise due to the tight tolerance
    for the hammer to clear the belly and back edge of the pin block.
    --

    Regards,

    Jon Page