whats the best temperament?

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sat Feb 16 16:53:48 MST 2008

Julia asks:
<< What is the best temperament (the most likely that Beethoven's tuner
used), to play Beethoven? >>

Greetings,
        Nobody knows, so we get to guess.  Since Thoma Young was regarded as
a genius, and he presented his temperament to the Royal Academy in 1799,  it
could be a contender.  However, if Beethoven's sense of tonality was formed in
his youth, (no real stretch, that), the more colorful non-restrictive approach
may be more plausible, ie, something like the Prinz (or something similar to
the Kirnberger III) or Werckmeister tuning.  I think that the modern piano may
argue for less contrast in the temperament, though.  On the  "Beethoven in
the Temperaments" CD, we used the Young and Prinz.
     To get really authentic, I believe the tuner has to rely on a sense of
harmonic taste, and though that is nearly a lost characteristic, these days,
more and more musicians are waking up to the added resources that non-ET offers.

      I suppose the worst tuning would be Meantone, followed by ET.
Everything in between is fair game.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on