Weighting upright keys question

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sat Feb 16 21:25:23 MST 2008

>In general, is installing weights in upright keys a corrective remedy?
Depends on the situation. (Always a good answer.)
>If so, is to correct due to wear problems or to improve upon original factory specs?
Probably not wear, that would be a fine adjust. Factory spec? Well, yea. Or to change it to you or the customers liking, as in custom(er) work.
>What do weights in an upright correct?
OK, what we want is a specific balance weight (bw). at least I do. Given a certain friction in the piano we are going to want to set up something like maybe a downweight (dw) of 50 and an upwight (uw) of 25. All numbers in grams. This is assuming a friction of 12.5.
DW-UW(2)=Friction. This is done my adding or subtracting weights in the key to achieve the numbers you want. This is heady stuff, Julia, if you haven't gotten into it before. But, it's easy if you just sit at the keyboard with some gram wts and move around lead key wts on the top of the key to get certain results.
But back to what do the weight in an upright correct. Uprights usually need wt at the back of the key. Some of them had no wts installed. An easy upgrade is to add wt to the back of the key to achieve, let's say, 25 grams of upweight at each key. A lot of spinet and console pianos will really benefit from this. This work was not done at the factory.
Hope this helps.
Fenton