FIRE!

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 09:15:25 MST 2008

Alan,I agree with your reordering of "steps to follow", while applauding
Martin's willingness to provide us with his experience and his "beta plan."
I tend to have a default "mind my own business" mindset, in large part to
stay focused on the tasks which I have at hand, and out of respect for the
privacy of the household into which I have been temporarily summoned.
Sometimes this may involve ignoring unpleasant odors -- usually associated
with cats, dogs, or tobacco. On occasion it may involve the household's
speed with which they dispose of garbage, or ethnic differences between my
Irish-American taste & smell standard (bland is safe, fresh air the default
odor) and the client's lack of stovetop  vent fans as they boil fatty bones
for hours, or fry extremely spicy dishes, etc.
So a few years ago I arrived for an early evening tuning, and was faced with
a very flat, neglected Baldwin Hamilton, and dove into triage lost motion
adjustment, pitch raise & fine tuning etc. mode. Meanwhile the customer had
started cooking supper (involving in part a steamy, briskly boiling pot of
water). And then wandered off to decompress from her workday mode and the
unpleasant "ping ping boing" noise of the piano technician at work.
Soooo it went as I thought to myself "hmm seems like she's cooking that
stuff rather crisp" but then refocusing on that additional pass to get the
tuning as stable as possible!
Eventually it was obvious that it was SMOKE coming from the kitchen, not
steam, and after a lot of calling out "HELLO! HELLO??" she emerged, pulled
the smokin' pot off the stove, got the fans on high and windows open, etc. I
finished the tuning breathing rather acrid air, and feeling really stupid
for not getting her attention 20 minutes earlier.
Patrick Draine