buying pianos

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Feb 17 13:43:26 MST 2008

Issac,

It happened to us, as a compeitior's modus operendi.  He was not knowledgeable about pianos, although he was a musician.  When he purchased a small used piano store in the village, he figured out how to replenish his stock.  He told everyone who phoned his store, trying to sell their used pianos, that they should call Hofstetters to come give them a price, then tell us they would "think about it", then call him and he would give him $50 more than anything we said.

 We didn't know it was happening until one day, when a seller, who saw how thouroughly we looked the piano over, and how we showed him all about the piano, felt remorse and blurted out what was happening.

It really stymied us for quite awhile.  Here we were doing his work, and we WERE thourough.

One thing your friends should do, since they have given a deposit, is take part of the piano with them--the action, for example.  Of course, the best thing to do in your described situations, is to have enough cash on them and take as much of the piano as possible on the spot.
Diane

buying pianos
Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos at earthlink.net
List!

Recently,I had received calls from 2 younger technicians,who are trying to
supplement their tuning business with selling and renting inexpancive,entry
level pianos..

Both of them had some negative experience when they bought piano from a
private party for agreeable price,left $100 depozit and went to the bank or
ATM machine to get the rest of the money By  the time they came to pay for
piano,the seller had sold it to somebody else for a few $$ more..Depozit was
returned to them on the spot,legal recource was out of the question.What
could be done to 'seal the deal" and avoid this cituation???? Hopefully,more
experienced Listers can share their wisdom. Thanx in advance    Isaac.

Diane Hofstetter