Lubricating V-bar

Ted Simmons tsimmons4 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 17 14:37:10 MST 2008

I started tuning in 1972, part time while working another job full
time.  I did about 10 tunings per week because I was the tuner for 2
piano stores.  Anyhow, an elderly tuner died and I and other tuners
were getting calls from his customers.  On every visit I found the
piano in deplorable condition in that all of the tuning pins were
loose and the bass strings were thunky.  I’m talking about Steinway
and Chickering grands, as well as all other kinds of uprights and
grands.  I had no idea why this was happening until one day I went to
tune a piano at a retirement club.  When I  found the same problem I
mentioned this situation to the club president and he said that he
was present when the elderly tuner started tuning the piano.  Much to
his chagrin he noticed that the tuner was spraying WD-40 over the V-
bars and bass string stagger pins.  He tried to stop him but it was
too late.  What I found was that the piano (an upright) had loose
tuning pins and thunky bass strings.  When I pulled up on one tuning
pin and released the tuning hammer the hammer moved back, having no
friction at all.  My lesson from this is to stay away from using
WD-40 on pianos.  From past messages on this listserver I found that
others have had the same experience.  I don’t even keep WD-40 in my
car anymore.