knuckle squeeze

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 18 07:45:03 MST 2008

To  anonymous
  Nice post.  I've had some unhappiness with the  firmness of most after
market knuckle lately. I recently worked with  a  piano that was very sensitive to
knuckle noise. I replaced them once  with another brand only to have the same
issues.  It doesn't seem to matter  which of the three major brands it is,
all the knuckles have no give or  cushion.  They are all beautifully made but....
  SO those of you with more experience is squeezing then  the answer De jour.
  (of the day)
    Can you please sign your  name.....thanks
  Dale Erwin

Yes   squeezing the knuckles in order reduce action noise  can  result in
repositioning of the hammer.  So you have to touch up the  hammer blow distance
and the let-off.  The sound of the jack hitting the  felt of the jack
positioner is a separate sound from  the sound of the  jack hitting the  repetition
lever and knuckle.  I could give a  technical on noise reduction  just focusing
on this area all by  itself.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)