rusted piano strings

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 08:23:41 MST 2008

The life of the strings will be maximized by leaving the rust on. The
formation of rust on the exterior of metal provides some insulation against
the migration of oxygen to the unrusted metal. Removing the rust will only
expose the bare metal to the environment more and promote more rapid
oxidation.

'Course, it'll look better if you remove the rust. IMHO, if the strings are
lightly rusted and it can be easily removed, then it may offer a cosmetic
improvement. If the strings are thoroughly rusted, all you're going to do is
remove some powder, the strings will look just as bad, and they will corrode
more rapidly.

Terry Farrell