Whole room humidity control better than Dampp Chaser. ( Right?)

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Mon Feb 18 14:44:51 MST 2008

I agree with you in theory. But the whole room system is only superior
if it can maintain a constant humidity within a few percent, all year
round, or as you say, a "proper" system. The cost and difficulty of
establishing such a proper system is not practical or realistic for most
to consider, especially if they live in harsher climates. Even in homes
that have some form of humidity control, the humidity swings are still
enough to justify installing a DC, if the piano really is top priority.

In Florida, you basically only need to worry about drying out the air to
bring the humidity down. In a place with cold, dry winters and humid
summers, you must be able to both add and remove moisture. Raising the
humidity up enough during cold weather could cause condensation damage.
Here in Arizona, I'd hate to think what it would cost for a system that
could pump enough moisture into the air to maintain a reasonable RH, and
how much energy and water would be consumed in the process. Just the
water filtration system required to feed such a humidifier would cost an
arm and a leg. With the water we have, filtration would not be optional.

Perhaps DC systems haven't worked as well for some other people, but
I've seen some amazing results in my limited experience with them, and
that's without even using a string or under cover. I'm talking about
radical, "Is this really the same piano?" results. I just don't
understand why so many people are so quick to dismiss Dampp Chasers and
get so excited about whole room systems. I say try the DC first, and
then if you really aren't pleased with the results (for reasons other
than being too lazy to refill the tank), then try the more expensive and
difficult route.

--
believed to be clean.