Yamahahaha

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:40:18 MST 2008

I just came from the (thankfully) rare opportunity to tune a Yamaha GA-1.

I know they eventually recognized their mistake (or heard all of us out in the trenches cussin' at 'em) and fixed much of the problem with the change to the GB-1, which I've also seen and liked a whole lot better. But it weakens my confidence in the brand, frankly, that they would ever have allowed such a hideous scale ever go into production, much less take money from the unsuspecting public for this shiny little POC.

Am I being too harsh on the Yamahanians?

And, with reference to our DC and grands discussion, I did put  a DC w/undercover in this piano a couple of years ago and it helps immensely in keeping the tuning stable, even in the low tenor. So if you are wrestling with any GA-1s out there, humidity control really helps.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO