voicing little piano

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 19 10:43:22 MST 2008

List

I am not a master of voicing.   May I ask for your
suggestions?

The piano is a little spinet, and really, for its size
it sounds quite nice in the midrange and treble---when
it's played softly.  The louder it gets, the brasher
and more distorted the sound gets.

The piano is in good regulation and the hammers have
been reshaped to eliminate the grooves.

Are there any voicing techniques that might help this
situation?  Steaming?  Needling the crown?  Gallon of
gas and a match?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Tom Sivak
Chicago