Mark-up (was Steinway parts)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Feb 19 10:47:29 MST 2008

Greetings,
I wrote:
>  I don't use any mark-up.  I tell my

>customers that the price they are charged for parts is my cost, and the
reason

>my prices are higher than my competitors is that I charge a lot more for my

>labor.  They don't seem to mind, especially when they have been given a
higher

>price for parts by another tech!  >>

David asks:
<< You figure the labor involved in ordering the parts etc. into your bill
then?   To me it all seems about the same really...

    It may be the same, I don't know.  I currently charge $100 per hour, plus
tax.  The parts are charged at cost. Customers seem to feel more comfortable
knowing that they are paying for my labor and the cost of the parts, rather
than getting hit with a mark-up.  I don't know if this obeys any kind of
carved-in-stone business principle, but it works out to $9,500 for replacing a
Steinway action, and usually $1,500 for a regulation.
    If I have reservations about how much I am charging someone, (ie, feeling
like I can charge them more than other because they are rich, or whatever),
they will sense that and their trust in me will lessen accordingly.
    Ultimately, our inner bearing carries the freight of supporting
ourselves.  90% of communication is non-verbal, and If we knowingly shortchange
someone, our voice will reflect that.  Whatever we do,  our careers will gradually
find their proper level.  If we do our business with an honest heart, the
returns will come accordingly.  At least, that is what I have observed over the last
30 years of dealing with "my" public.
    I am trusted, here. I have eaten a lot of unpaid work because I did poor
job of estimating what a job should cost, and there at the bench, made the
decision to go ahead and do what needed to be done without changing my original
contract with them.  It pays off in the long run, and eventually I have gotten
my prices "tuned" to what I know I will be doing,   I have had customers tell
me that they have never spent as much on their instrument before, but knowing
that I stand behind the work was well worth the difference.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on
AOL Living.<BR>