voicing little piano

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 19 11:52:20 MST 2008

Tom,

You're talking about a cheap little domestic product of the mid-20th
century, not a more recent Asian imitation?  Most of these that I see
have hammers which are not particularly heavy/dense, but they've lost
their resilience due to age.  I've never been able to do anything to the
shoulders that will affect the tone - it's got to be at or under the
strike point.  Quickest and easiest for me has been to do 3-needle
cross-stitches from above, passing about 1/8" below the surface at the
strike point.  If the first couple of stabs don't do enough, move closer
to the crown and closer to the surface.  Do a sound check after every
one or two stitches, it will change that fast.  You'll be done while Wim
is still waiting for his iron to warm up <G>.

Mike