Grand Piano drop scew tool?

martin cipolla pianodoctor at msn.com
Tue Feb 19 16:28:09 MST 2008

Thanks Wim and all for the "tips". (No pun intended)  I should have thought of that myself.  Guess I was just hoping to buy a new tool.
Thanks again,
Marty.

To: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: Re: Grand Piano drop scew tool?Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:20:59 -0500From: wimblees at aol.comI took a small screw driver, and thinned the end. You can use a file, but if you're careful, you can do it on a grinding wheel. When you file the tip, it will get hot, and it softens the metal. But, if you immediately dip the tip of the screwdriver into water, it hardens it.
Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT  Piano Tuner/TechnicianHonolulu, HIAuthor of The Business of Piano Tuningavailable from Potter Presswww.pianotuning.com-----Original Message-----From: martin cipolla <pianodoctor at msn.com>To: pianotech at ptg.orgSent: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:43 amSubject: Grand Piano drop scew tool?

I was regulating a 1940 vintage Steinway S today and having some trouble with the drop screws.  My standard drop screw tool does not work. (Hole is too big, wont grab the screw.)  The screw has a slot in it but so tiny I have no screw driver to fit it.  Can it be there is a tool out there I haven't bought yet?  I ran into this once before on a Korean Piano.  Is there a tool that can help me.? Thanks, Marty

Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now! =