rusted piano strings

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Feb 19 07:45:39 MST 2008

"Swamp coolers" are more accurately called "evaporative coolers." They
are about a 2-foot cube with sides of a filter material. Water drips
thru the filters and a squirrel cage fan draws hot, DRY outside air
thru the wet filters. The water evaporates, and in doing so it expands
and cools (or cools and expands).

The only place I've ever seen them was in Amarillo, TX which is high
(and quite hot and very arid) desert (and there's no trees and it's
not the sort of place I enjoy living!) They don't work in areas of
higher humidity AFAIK. That was before I tuned (or played) pianos so I
didn't have a humidity gauge at the time so I don't know what the
resulting indoor humidity was, but in those conditions I can't imagine
that it was even 40%... but I could possibly be very very wrong.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN (where this morning's -8F ain't much better!)