Grand Piano drop scew tool?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Feb 20 04:38:51 MST 2008

David Ilvedson wrote:

> the smallest steinway needs a smaller screwdriver...consider some
> jewelers screwdrivers...you can also dress your small screwdriver on a
> sharpening stone or the like...
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA 94044

Over the years I've tried the cheap, the throwaway and the file and
harden methods, but finally paid a few bucks and got this puppy. (they
come in a wide variety of sizes. This one says 2,0x40 which would be
2mm x .4mm.

Very hard (molybdenum) tip which has not twisted or chipped in over 15
years and gazillions of regulations. (this says W.Germany, so you know
how old it has to be...) I've even had to open up some slots by gently
tapping the tip into them.

The only screw tip which has broken on me was on a 1887 Chickering
adjustable thumbtack, and I think it was pre-broken... I just finished
the job.

Spend the money, go top shelf and you only have to buy it once.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076