Hand Plane Chatter

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Feb 20 14:06:10 MST 2008

When planing a curve such as this, if you are planing with a concave sole,
you will plane down from the apex on either side of the workpiece, working
with the grain in both directions.  Obviously some overlap must occur at the
apex to finish things off well, but essentially you shouldn't be planing in
one smooth motion from end to end.  Problems worsen the more convex/concave
your workpiece gets.

Similarly, if you are planing with a convex sole you will plane into the
nadir, the bottom of the curve, from both endpoints.

William R. Monroe