Mason&Hamlin 3118 revisited

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Wed Feb 20 15:18:06 MST 2008

Mason & Hamlin was bought by Falcone in 1983.  I don't know if or when they might have been built in Memphis, but they were never a stencil piano.  A stencil piano is a generic design, to which the manufacturer would afix any name that the buyer requested, to the extent that the buyer held the legal right to use that name.  Throughout the Aeolian years, they were true to the Mason designs.  There were, to be sure, weaknesses in the product under Aeolian.  My biggest complaint was with the action.  Despite Aeolian's shortcomings, you can still hear the "heart and soul" of Mason in them.

Frank Emerson