Hand Plane Chatter

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 21 13:43:01 MST 2008

Thanks for all the input on my plane chatter troubles. As you can see from the picture below I have discovered how to achieve much better results. Chatter is not completely gone, but I seem to be able to keep it under control. I think the biggest improvement came from Ron N's advice to make the sole flatter. I had shaped it to my desired radius - and it rocked a fair bit - big mistake. Whereas I didn't shape it flatter than my surface, I did shape it to be fairly flush - maybe just a teeny, tiny bit more concave than my surface. That helped immediately. Then I tried aiming the plane at about a 30 degree angle while planing parallel with the grain, and that seemed to improve things a lot also - seemed to help sheer the wood rather than chop directly at it.

I did move the cap iron back a little bit - that may have helped also, not sure. Someone mentioned flattening some of the structural parts of the plane - that sounds like excellent advice. I haven't gotten to that yet, but I will, and that may improve things further.

Anyway, thanks for all the very instructive input. You folks make "Ten Thumbs Farrell" seem like a partially competent woodworker!

Terry Farrell