Action Rail Screws

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Feb 22 13:12:28 MST 2008

OK folks,

You should always put the SAME screw back into the SAME hole in an action
frame, e.g.

I've heard this a number of times, a couple times very recently, and I'm
wondering if anyone can offer a real reason that it is true.

It has always sounded to me like one of those many superstitions that folks
follow without good science.  I have never believed it should be necessary
unless you run into an action with varying screw sizes.  Otherwise, all the
screws are the same thread cut and should thread equally well in any of the
holes.

Or am I all stripped out?

Thanks for your input,
William R. Monroe