Tuning lever length

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 22 23:18:13 MST 2008

My Macassar Ebony Faulk hammer is 10 inches long.   I haven't really tried a lot of different length hammers so I don't have a good reason for the 10 inches.  I like it.   I'm a jerk, I prefer to call it dynamic impact, as in I begin with light pressures and it may increase as I feel what is going on with the pin...this technique is really all over the place with changes...it certainly has times of just low torque on the pin and key action...what I like is the fluidity....coaxing the pin, and of course when fine tuning really little or no pin movement at all...

I don't really understand the smooth pull technique...I've tried to do it many times to get a feel for it, but how do you know when the pin is going to move?   With impacts I know the pin/tension is going change in tiny increments...Is it steady pressure starting lightly and increasing until the pin moves or the pitch changes...?    I don't get it...

David Ilvedson, RPT

Pacifica, CA 94044