Tuning lever length

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 23 04:00:45 MST 2008

If you can, please try to better describe the difference between a jerk and a smoothie. Certainly I can envision the extremes. However, while only on rare occasions do I use a completely smooth motion, I don't sit there and hit the lever either (I've seen some folks do that). I rarely see anyone else tune a piano. The best I could describe my tuning lever motion is gentle, controlled nudges.

So what would that make me?

I've been using an eleven-inch-long Keith Bowman/Renner tuning lever (titanium shaft) for all of my ten years of tuning pianos. I like the lever quite a bit, but must admit I've never tried one of these other "stiff" levers. Maybe I need to give 'em a try at the next convention. Gee, I'd feel like I was cheating on my old buddy lever......  ;-(   Maybe cosmetic enhancement surgery?

Terry Farrell