Tuning lever length

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 06:33:05 MST 2008

>Now here Bruce went to a great deal of trouble to start a new thread with a
>proper label on tuning lever length and it has been shanghaied into a
>discussion on jerks and smoothies

hold on thar pardner... I kept my post on topic with the last paragraph  :-)

To expound a bit on the topic, I also like to use a #4 tip to fit deeply onto
the pin as close to the coils as I can get.

Like Dale, I don't change tips but head/tip configurations. After stripping
many heads early on, I learned what tip matched which heads for my
general purposes. For twenty years now I carry 5 units: all heads 5 degrees:

Short head w/ #2 tip
Med w/ #3
Long w/ #2
Long w/ #4
and a #2 thinned-wall tip with an adapter.

My two stationary levers are goosenecks and I bent them to 5 degrees also.
I prefer the 9.5" (#2) if the strut clearance allows and the pin
tightness is not too much.
The 11.5" is about a #1 tip (or a small #2) and works well for most
Asian pianos
or if I need more leverage.

Diverged a bit and ended on topic.
--