Tuning lever length

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 13:03:52 MST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Bruce Dornfeld <bdornfeld at earthlink.net>
wrote:

>  I believe that tuners who use a smooth hammer technique prefer a longer
> lever and that tuners who use a jerk or impact technique benefit from a
> shorter lever.

That makes sense.  I am comfortable with either method, but generally use a
smooth pull when possible on grands.  (Some pianos do better with smooth,
and some not.)  Verticals are  usually tuned with an impact technique.
 Either with the Reyburn CyberHammer, or with a palm on the end of the Fujan
II.

> Most of you know if you are jerks or smoothies.  What length tuning lever
> works best for your technique?

I use the shortest Fujan lever, and wish it could be about an inch or so
shorter.  When I'm using the smooth method, the pulling is done with the
wrist.  I don't know if others use their arms and shoulders with the smooth
method, but I find it easier to let the wrist do the pulling and the thumb
do the pushing.

--
JF